Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I verify that my return was filed and that the tax-due payments were made?

Filed electronically, but never got verification emails. Had tax due, set up direct debit, which seems to have happened (according to the bank). Where in my Intuit account can I find verification that the returns were in fact filed. The "Documents" filed says "Coming Soon" for personal taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I verify that my return was filed and that the tax-due payments were made?

Download a PDF of your 2023 tax return to include all worksheets.  There will be an Electronic Postmark Report which has the date/time the tax return was filed and the date it was accepted by the IRS.

Your only proof of the payment of the taxes owed will be the canceled check or the bank or credit card account statement.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2023 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

I used the desktop software to file, so I never see the screens you describe. Sorry if I did not make that clear in the original post

Then all you need to do is click on Forms.  When in Forms mode the Electronic Postmark Report will be listed near the bottom of the federal forms, schedules and worksheets list on the left side of the screen.  Click on the Report to open.

You may also need to check teh filing status form within that tax file first.

1) Open that tax file

2) Then go up to the top line menu and check on "File"

3) From the drop-down menu select "Electronic filing"

4) then a new pop up displays and you select, "Check Electronic Filing Status"

There's also a Status history as a selection.

IF you had the debit arranged from within your tax filing (i.e. you didn't pay it separately on the IRS website), .....then the fact that the bank shows your payment as having been debited, indicates the file was accepted by the IRS.  IF the IRS rejects a tax file, then the debit information isn't sent, and payment wouldn't happen.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies