turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report a bug? I believe that the workflow for dealing with 1098-T forms is flawed with respect to adding data for children; the docs and what happens disagree.

I'm never given the option to actually add a dependent--the page always assumes the 1098-t is for me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I report a bug? I believe that the workflow for dealing with 1098-T forms is flawed with respect to adding data for children; the docs and what happens disagree.

Do you have a dependent?  If so, did you enter them in the My Info section of the program?

Click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen.

yes, my dependents are listed in my info.

SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds as if your dependents may be listed in a non-dependent status.  Revisit My Info (or Personal Info in some versions) to review the status of the dependents.  TurboTax will only allow for the selection of the primary or joint taxpayer or another person listed as a dependent. 

For college-aged students the most common entry error that will cause them to be listed as a nondependent is the question "How many months did... live with you?"  Temporary absences, such as those for school, don't count so be sure to answer "The Whole Year" here. 

Below is a screenshot that will show what the different statuses look like when you return to the My Info/Personal Info section to review the status.  Only those showing as dependent will show on the 1098-T selection screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies