Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do i recover a desktop versionTurbotax 2021 file from back up file?

You can shut off the auto update function (WIN only)  when you have filed and saved a PDF and .taxfile of the return to a separate storage medium ... not just the cloud.  

gengel

I had the same issue, and I think I found a simple solution.  Renaming the latest of the <gobbledigook>.taxbak backup files to <TaxReturn>.tax2022 and opening (double-clicking) this, I was able to fully recover my tax return. I think this answers the original question on how to recover from the Backup files. Just to be careful, you should probably try this on a copy of the latest <gobbledigook>.taxbak file and not on your only original.

Some more detail: for me, Turbotax Desktop 2022 seems to save  <gobbledigook>.taxbak backup files every 10-20 minutes and doesn't clean them up. While that's fairly benign, the more serious issue is that Turbotax 2022 can lose your work (I reproduced this multiple times): I opened a <TaxReturn>.tax2022 file, made no edits, and closed the Turbotax program without saving when asked. It turns out that not saving at this point makes the previously saved <TaxReturn>.tax2022 file disappear from my hard drive. 

I should add that I was working on a folder that was automatically mirrored real-time to an external Seagate hard drive - perhaps that messes with some auto-backup mechanism? And of course, in case you are wondering, the missing file was gone from the mirrored drive as well.

Gengel saves the day!  Way better to offer advice (e.g. rename to .tax2022) when you actually know what you are talking about, as opposed to claiming ".taxbak requires taxbak software" and "there are no backups".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies