ebaweslaco

How do I print only the documents that are necessary to file the FED and CA return. I don't want to print unnecessary forms for filing by mail.

KathrynG3

To print only the documents necessary to file the federal and California returns, pay for TurboTax and go to the Print Center. From there, select the option to print All official forms required for filing.

TurboTax will automatically sort the pages with this option. To confirm: 

2020 Form 1040 Instructions: Assemble Your Return, page 65.

2020 California Form 540 Instruction Booklet. Select Ctrl + F and enter Assembling your tax return for a diagram of what forms and schedules are expected.

These options should be available during the File Steps 1, 2, and 3. Watch for the option to download the PDF. If this window is already closed, then another way to get there is to follow these steps:

• Inside TurboTax, from the left menu, select Tax Tools.
  • Select Print Center.
  • Select the option to only print the forms required for filing.

However, if the reason for printing and not e-filing is due to a rejection, See: How do I fix a rejected return?  There are examples of common rejections included in this link, such as when the spouse's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year doesn't match IRS records. There are steps for how to fix this and try again to e-file.