turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I go back into my return to see when my federal payment will be deducted from my checking account? My form 1040 has been accepted by the IRS.

I did not intend to e-file my federal return but it went through anyway (with my state return which I did intend to file). Now I am worried that the IRS will charge my bank account before 4/17/18.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

How do I go back into my return to see when my federal payment will be deducted from my checking account? My form 1040 has been accepted by the IRS.

When you e-file in TurboTax state returns cannot be e-filed before a Federal return is accepted by the IRS, but the two can be filed together, which is why your Federal return was filed with your state return.

To check the IRS or state payment date selected in TurboTax:

1.     Sign In to TurboTax

2.     Select "Taxes"

3.     Click "My Tax Timeline"

4.     Choose "Some things You can Do"

5.     Select "Download all forms and worksheets"

6.     Review Part V of the Federal Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

7.     Review State Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

Once your return is accepted, you can't change any of the payments details, but, you can cancel the electronic withdrawal payment and use another payment method.

You can call IRS e-file Payment Services anytime at 1-888-353-4537, 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted to cancel your payment. 

You must cancel your payment 2 business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Check out "Cancellations, Errors and Questions" from IRS link below "Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal"

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal#errors

To setup new payments directly through IRS and state websites:

Visit www.irs.gov/Payments and choose a payment option instead of paying through TurboTax. 

Guidelines vary per state to change the payment. Check out your state's link below for more information on changing a direct debit payment date:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

When you e-file in TurboTax state returns cannot be e-filed before a Federal return is accepted by the IRS, but the two can be filed together, which is why your Federal return was filed with your state return.

To check the IRS or state payment date selected in TurboTax:

1.     Sign In to TurboTax

2.     Select "Taxes"

3.     Click "My Tax Timeline"

4.     Choose "Some things You can Do"

5.     Select "Download all forms and worksheets"

6.     Review Part V of the Federal Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

7.     Review State Information Worksheet for payment and banking information.

Once your return is accepted, you can't change any of the payments details, but, you can cancel the electronic withdrawal payment and use another payment method.

You can call IRS e-file Payment Services anytime at 1-888-353-4537, 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted to cancel your payment. 

You must cancel your payment 2 business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Check out "Cancellations, Errors and Questions" from IRS link below "Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal"

https://www.irs.gov/uac/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal#errors

To setup new payments directly through IRS and state websites:

Visit www.irs.gov/Payments and choose a payment option instead of paying through TurboTax. 

Guidelines vary per state to change the payment. Check out your state's link below for more information on changing a direct debit payment date:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies