Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kerrik

How do I get proof that an older return was filed?

I need to get proof that my 2013 tax return was submitted because Social Security does not list my income for that year. (I just noticed this error.) I have a copy of the return, but no proof that it was filed. When I try to access my 2013 return on TurboTax, hoping it has some proof of filing on it, TurboTax requires me to begin my 2020 return. My 2020 taxes were filed via an accountant. How do I get this proof?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The proof of filing would be from the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

the IRS and Turbotax only keep returns for 6-7 years. proof of filing may no longer exist.

The Internal Revenue Service keeps copies of all versions of tax Form 1040 for up to six years. After that time, as required by law, it destroys them.

I'm trying to get confirmation that my 2020 return went through

Did you efile it?  If you efiled was your return Accepted?  When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.  Just paying the fee doesn't file the return.  After you paid did you continue on to the very end and hit the big orange Transmit Returns Now button?

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  What does it say?

If it says Printed or Ready to Mail that means you had to print it out and mail it to the IRS yourself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies