Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix a rejected federal return - code 8962-006-01?

I received this error message:

F8962-006-01 - If Form 8962, Line 1 'TotalExemptionsCnt' has a non-zero value, then Line 5 'FederalPovertyLevelPct' must be equal to Line 3 'HouseholdIncomeAmt' divided by Line 4 'PovertyLevelAmt'.

I spent time with two support folks, one a TT tax expert, and according to both of them, all the calculations appear to be correct. There isn't an error in the math. I even did the math myself using the worksheets on the IRS website. Yet when I tried to refile my federal return electronically, it got rejected a second time. The tax expert I spoke on the phone with even went through every page of my return and couldn't find any issues. What's going on? 

All they can tell me is to print out my return and file by mail. I do not want to file by mail. 

I have seen that there were issues with this particular form unique to 2021 that were going to be resolved by early February. I know I'm not the only person having this particular problem. Can this be looked into further, perhaps by the software developers, not the tax experts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Please read the following TurboTax FAQ:

Some TurboTax customers received e-file reject F8962-006-01 because of an error in TurboTax that was fixed on February 2, 2022. We have automatically recalculated and corrected the number for you.

To fix the reject code and resubmit your return:

1. Sign back in to TurboTax and select Fix my return.
  2. Select Federal from the left menu, then Federal Review.
  3. Continue through the screens to refile your return.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and thank you for being a TurboTax customer.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate the reply, but I've tried to fix the problem twice - both times with a TT expert on the phone and sharing my screen -- and it has not worked. I tried filing on March 13 - well after that Feb. 2 date that the error was fixed. 

Is there another department that can jump in to see what's wrong? 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, did you receive a 1095A?

@Erin22

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My husband did. (Married filing jointly) No unemployment during the year.

Just want to update my situation in case it's helpful. After trying to see if I could talk to anyone at the IRS (unsuccessfully), I decided to try one more time to e-file. I used a different browser to log into TT (Chrome) and this time my return was accepted! I'm not sure why that is, as I've used Safari for the last 5 years and never had a return rejected, but I wanted to mention that in case that helps anyone else who's having the same problem. It may be just that the IRS or TT changed something in the back end of the software and it worked for me this time, I just don't know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies