Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i download or view my tax return from 2006 or even earlier? I'm pretty sure i've been filing with TurboTax all along. Documents only has "Upload"

Documents only has "Upload" option and it's only as early as 2012.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do i download or view my tax return from 2006 or even earlier? I'm pretty sure i've been filing with TurboTax all along. Documents only has "Upload"

TurboTax and the IRS save returns for seven years.  After seven years they are gone.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Is there any way to find those returns? Can i request the IRS for it?

I'm trying to find my old 401K account from way back in the early 2000s.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Per IRS: Tax return and tax account transcripts are also limited to the current and prior three tax years when using Get Transcript by Mail. To get older tax account transcripts,  submit Form 4506-T. Contact the IRS to see how far back your records are kept. 

Here are some other suggestions:

1. Contact your old employer
  2. Find an old 401(k) plan statement
  3. Contact former employees
  4. Look for unclaimed Money
  5. Another resource is National Registry of Unclaimed Retirement Benefits. Employees may search for lost or forgotten retirement funds.

By law, companies have to let you know that you have 401(k) funds in your name, and are obligated to reach out to you via mail at your last known address letting you know that fact. They'll also need to tell you how to get in touch with the company and reclaim your 401()k account.

But if you don't respond, a company holding an old 401(k) account has no obligation to pursue the issue further, and eventually will relinquish your old account to the state, and all of the funds held, as well. Source: The Street

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies