Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sunvox
Returning Member

How do I certify that I have a terminal illness? Are there IRS forms I can bring to my doctor? Or do I just create my own letter.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How do I certify that I have a terminal illness? Are there IRS forms I can bring to my doctor? Or do I just create my own letter.

Can you clarify why you need to certify that you have a terminal illness?

If you have been declared disabled, you can indicate that in the MY INFO section in TurboTax, and no documentation needs to be sent to the IRS with your tax return.

@sunvox 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sunvox
Returning Member

I have Stage IV rectal cancer and am terminally ill, but I am fortunate to have saved over $5 million in my 401k, but I'm 58 so if I withdraw money for "bucket list" items I would normally have to pay a penalty, but I see there is an exclusion for terminally ill patients hence my question.  How do I certify I am terminally ill to the IRS so I do not have to pay a penalty on my 401k withdrawals?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You take the exception on your tax return.  Distributions made to a terminally ill employee, on or after the date the employee has been certified by a physician as having a terminal illness, qualify for an exception to the early withdrawal penalty.   If you qualify, enter the exception and keep the certification with your tax records.   You don't need to attach it.  

You have a permanent and total disability if you can't engage in any substantial gainful activity because of your physical or mental condition. A qualified physician must certify that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for 12 months or more, or that the condition can be expected to result in death. See Physician's statement, later.

sunvox
Returning Member

Thank you for the speedy reply, but I'm afraid you didn't answer the question.

HOW do I certify?  A letter from my doctor?  An IRS form? A letter and a medical diagnosis?

I have an MRI report that states my Stage IV status.  If I combine that with a letter from my oncologist is that enough?  Does the IRS provide guidance?

Thanks,

JP

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

A letter from your physician will satisfy the requirement.

@Sunvoc

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies