turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my return?

I have a 1098-T form to add how do I do that
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you have e-filed your tax return and need to change the information on the tax return then you will need to wait for the tax return to either be accepted or rejected by the IRS.
If the tax return is rejected then you can make your changes and re-file the tax return.
If the tax return is accepted then you will have to amend the tax return to make your changes. An amended tax, Form 1040X, return can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

While the IRS has just started processing returns for the 2019 tax year, submitting your return is similar to dropping it in a mailbox. You cannot cancel or retrieve it. If the IRS accepts your return, you will have to amend it and include the Form 8862. Amended returns require paper filing. If they reject your return, you can simply make the necessary changes and resubmit. You will need to check within the next 24-48 hours for the status.

Should you have to amend, follow the steps below:

1. Log into your TurboTax account
  2. Choose the tax year that you wish to amend
  3. Click Amend
  4. Make any necessary changes

If you need to add a 1098-T, click on Deductions & Credits, then under Education, choose Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T). Enter the information as requested on the screens. Keep in mind that you cannot take education credits if you are a dependent on someone else's return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies