Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my return to update the portion of my full income I made in NY as a nonresident? I am having trouble editing and TurboTax customer service didn't know.

I called TurboTax and they didn't know either. I have already completed my return but not filed (have to file on paper) so I have the opportunity to edit if I can only figure out how.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

How do I amend my return to update the portion of my full income I made in NY as a nonresident? I am having trouble editing and TurboTax customer service didn't know.

If you have not filed yet, don't file an amended return, just fix the one you started. 

If you are having trouble getting into your return (because you said you were done and you were going to mail the return in) : 

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Under Your tax returns & documents, select Show, and then select 2018.
  3. Now select Add a state (You aren't going to, but this reopens your return).

Now click on state and edit (continue) the NY return. 

Thanks - that opens up my W-2s, but that's not the issue. Because NY taxes ALL wages and then I only pay a portion, there was a part asking me what portion I worked in NY where I had to allocate by % of total income, total days from 2018, etc. That is what I need to fix (it isn't something on my W-2, rather a simple calculation about total NY income/total income). I received an updated document from my employer after I finished (but did not file) my return so I need to find that specific set of questions and update the portion of NY income as a percentage of the total . It is not something I can find from the W-2 page since my W-2 for NY lists my entire wages.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

When you go back into the state, (Continue or Edit) you should see an edit option for Income, Click Done with Income, and this takes me back to the allocation pages. Doesn't that work for you?
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Don't go back to your W2, that is on the federal side, click "State" (under Federal) on the left side bar first.  

I think I'm getting an issue with clicking on the states. none of them are hyperlinks and i can't click into anything specifically except for "amend" from which I only have options to edit w-2s. is that an issue?

just figured it out - it wasn't prompting me to go to that income adjustment page until I made a random w-2 edit, which I had to go back and fix. thanks for the help though!
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Glad you figured it out, I'll have to look more closely at that issue. Thank you for using TurboTax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies