riversTN

How do I amend my 2016 taxes if I did not use TurboTax in 2016?

After using turbotax for 2017 I realized I should have used itemized instead of a standard deduction for 2016. The accountant I used the last few years has been taking standard deduction when I could have used itemized based on having a home etc. I don't want to go back to that accountant for obvious reasons and prefer to use TurboTax.

KatrinaB

Yes, you can use TurboTax to prepare an amended return, even if you didn't file the original return using TurboTax. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to prepare the amended return.  Once you've selected the year you want to amend, please select the option to amend using CD/downloaded software.

These instructions assume that you prepared your return using TurboTax. Since that's not the case, you'll need to enter the information from your return as originally filed, then proceed to start in Step 3.

KatrinaB