If you have already filled your taxes the first step is to wait and see if it is Accepted or Rejected.
- If it is Rejected you will be able to correct the rejection error and add your anything you want..
- If it is Accepted you will have to wait and file an amended tax return:
- If you're getting a refund wait until the refund comes in.
- If you owe money wait at least two weeks before filing the amended return. (This is so that the IRS has time to process the original return.)
To amend a return
Some quick ground rules:
- Be sure the original return was filed and accepted.
- DO NOT go back into the return or change anything before you start the amendment process.
- Gather everything you need before you start.
- Complete the entire amendment process before you log out.
- Starting with 2020 tax returns you can E-File a 1040-X amended tax return. All prior years must be printed and mailed.
You can correct a return that you've already filed and had accepted. Select the year that applies and use this guide to proceed.
Select your tax year for amending instructions:
For additional information please refer to How to Amend
The 1040X (Amended Return) tax form is scheduled to be available 03/25/2021.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"