Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i send my amended return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

It is too early to amend 2017.

How did you amend the federal tax return if the amended Form 1040X is not yet available for filing?
Carl
Level 15

If you correctly amend your return (which is not possible at the time of this post for a 2017 return) then when you print it, mailing instructions are printed with it. Sign both the 1040 and 1040X and then mail it to the address specified in the instructions. Where you mail it, depends on what area of the country you are in.
So at this point if you have made any changes to your already e-filed and accepted 2017 tax return, you need to change it back to match *exactly* what you originally e-filed with the IRS. If you do not do this, then when you do amend you will have major issues with the IRS.

I figure it out. I did an amend and return the fax forms to the irs and everything is good.

You cannot amend 2017 yet. You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about  4 months for the IRS to process. Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies