turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I verify that letter I received is from IRS ( afraid of scam)? They want me to call and verify info. # is 1-800-830-5084

No
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I verify that letter I received is from IRS ( afraid of scam)? They want me to call and verify info. # is 1-800-830-5084

27 Replies

copgirl04
Returning Member

This is a proper letter and I would suggest calling.

sathiaku

Hi , 

I received a similar letter. Is this legit? I can't find this number on the IRS website though, is this normal? 

Thanks for the help.

OswaldoR

I also received letter 4883C a couple of days ago, asking to call [phone number removed] to verify my ID. 

I had the same reservations regarding the possibility of this being a scam letter and 800 number.  And like the person above, I could not find a reference to this 800 number on the IRS.gov web site.

So I called the regular IRS customer line 800 829 104 (see here: https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance).

The automated system is pretty convoluted, but following the instructions below I was able to talk to a human  (see a related chat on the intuit site: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-got-a-letter-from-irs-[product key removed]r-to...)

The agent confirmed [phone number removed] is the number to call for letter 4883c.  Why they won't post this number on the irs web is a little baffling, but it is what it is.

We received a letter supposedly from IRS taxpayer advocates  Services wanting me to verify my identity 

LW

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@lacjwyant Please see the information below regarding the verification identity letter:

Understanding Your 4883C Letter

After successful verification, it takes about 6 weeks to complete processing.

Tips for Handling Identity Verification Requests From the IRS

To contact the IRS directly, please see the link below:

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I recieved the letter 5071C from the IRS. In order to be identified on line you have to have a charge card and enter last 4 digits besides your tax info.... debit cards will not work. So I had to make copies of every turbo tax paper and a copy of the letter and send them to Texas. This was on Feb 26th. Even thou my taxes were accepted. It still says processing for $163. I gave them every information possible about me. The lady was not very nice. To this day I still have not heard anything. I have already recieved my State Refund to my checking account. I do not trust the IRS. Years ago before Direct Deposit was available my tax check was stolen. My ex took it and him and his new girl cashed it. It was for $4000. Do you believe it took the IRS a year before they issued me a new check. And they did not even file charges against the crooks. Everything is for the crooks. The innocent ones get crapped on. Turbo Tax does an Amazing job. If my taxes weren't mine then how in the world did I get my W2s and how did I receive the letter from the IRS. IDIOTS!!

RobertSF

You can see this number is published on two pages of the irs.gov website:

1. https://www.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-025-006r
  2. https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/identity-theft
asagewood

How can I verify that letter I received is from IRS ( afraid of scam)? They want me to call and verify info. # is [phone number removed]

The best way to verify that the number is official (mine was) is to Google:

site:irs.gov "[phone number removed]"

(Place the phone number given inside quotes.)

In my case, it turned up dozens of pages on the IRS site mentioning this number as official.

Totally agree with everyone else that the IRS isn't doing anyone any favors here by sending a letter that could so easily be a phishing attempt and then not helping you to at least verify the legitimacy of the number before calling to give out sensitive info. On top of that, when you do call the number, you're treated to a computer-synthesized voice that does little to allay the concern.

But the #1 way I knew this wasn't a scam was because, when I called that number, they made me hold for half an hour before someone picked up. And then it disconnected me. Yep, it's the IRS alright...

When I called the 800 number too Intuit said not available at this time 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for information on how to contact the IRS. The answering representative can help get you connected to the right person for assistance.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS...

alverta5

i received a letter 5071c to verified my identity.  Is this a scam   The website www.idverify.irs.gov.  It asks for credit card info and ss #  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please review the following information posted by CassLo.

Understanding Your 4883C Letter

After successful verification, it takes about 6 weeks to complete processing.

Tips for Handling Identity Verification Requests From the IRS

To contact the IRS directly, please see the link below:

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies