Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I remove a dependent after I filed. I made a mistake

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-file originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes at least 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dblucas

How can we check the status that the irs has accepted the 1040x so that the other spouse can now file?

Oh, so the wrong parent claimed a dependent?  The parent who is supposed to claim the dependent has to file on paper--print, sign and mail the return.  Once the dependent's SSN is in the system as having been used on a tax return you cannot e-file.  There is no reason to wait for the other person's amended return to be approved.  It takes 3-4 months for an amended return to be processed, and even then, the SSN entry will not be corrected for some time.
In answer to your question about how to check on an amended return that you mailed to the IRS: Wait about 3 weeks and you can check the status of your amended return:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1">htt...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My state and Federal taxes has been approved and I would like to take my dependent off of my tax return before getting receiving my refund. Am I able to do that. 

mikeyd90512
Returning Member

My Daughter's father accidentally claimed her on his taxes. He is waiting to get the 1040X to remove her. In the mean time, I tried to claim her and got rejected when I e-filed ( which is how I found out he claimed her). Anyways, do I have to wait to submit my taxes with her as a dependent until after he is allowed to start amending his taxes to remove her which won't be till March? How does this work? Thanks for any help!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Yes, until the IRS records are updated to reflect the fact that the daughter's father is no longer claiming the daughter as a dependent, each time you elect to claim the daughter, your return will be rejected.  The daughter's father may not need to wait until March to begin the amendment process.  As soon as the daughter's father's return is "accepted" by the IRS, the daughter's father can amend the return in question, remove the daughter as a claimed dependent, and thereafter e-file the amended return.  Amended returns can be e-filed through TurboTax.

When the IRS "accepts" a return, the IRS is essentially stating that IRS records match the income entries on a taxpayer's return.  It does not mean that after further review, the IRS may reject, or otherwise request additional information from the taxpayer concerning the return.  Acceptance of a return can occur within 48 hours assuming the entries were correct when entered.  Thus, you might want to reach out to the daughter's father and request that the amendment process begin as soon as the return in question has been accepted.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mikeyd90512 You cannot e-file this year no matter how soon the other parent amends.     The child's SSN has been put into the system already and that will not change soon enough for you to e-file.   Print sign and mail your own return that claims the child.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

So if i understand, the 1040X efiled will not remove the dependent from the IRS system ( probably because it take agent interaction ), and the correct parent still needs to paper file the return.

Yes right

Krystalmathieu
Returning Member

How can I remove a dependent on my return I made a mistake 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

If your return has been transmitted and rejected by the IRS, you can correct your tax return and re-transmit.

If your return has been transmitted and accepted by the IRS, you can amend your Federal 1040 tax return.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” 

If you used the CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”

You must file a separate Form 1040-X for each tax return you are amending.

To remove a dependent, click on My Info down the left side of the screen.  Then click the trashcan Delete icon to the right of the dependent that needs to be removed.

See also this TurboTax Help.

@Krystalmathieu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

As the parent who is claiming the child that has already mistakenly been claimed, do I need to mention that on my printed tax return before I mail it out? My ex is going to begin the amendment process but do I need to let the IRS know that or is there a place to write that information in?

@xmetzger10 No you do not need to write anything on your return about the "ex" who claimed the child by mistake.  And you do not have to wait for him to amend.   You can mail in your return when you have it ready.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Jshaye89

My child's father was supposed to claim my child, I claimed him instead. I have amended my return to remove the dependent. It was efiled and has been accepted. My childs father also amended his return to add the dependent. It is still rejecting my childs social security number. How soon can he efile his amended return? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies