reiko47

How can i re-file with turbo tax after my husband's death in 2015?

i was told i had to file with an accountant for 2 years after husband died january 2015, so i did that. now i still have state of calif retirement and social security benefits paid directly to me each month and would like to resume filing with turbo tax intuit once i get my 1099's or w2 - whichever way they send me my info.

ScruffyCurmudgeon

Since you had an accountant prepare your two prior year returns, make sure that you were provided, at least for the past year of 2015 a complete set of documents showing all carryforward amounts, such as any capital loss carryforwards, and possible credits such as unused Foreign Tax credit and similar, and any prior year overpayments that you did not take as refunds but instead carried forward.  You will have to manually enter these when you once again are using TurboTax because there is no other way for the program to know of these factors.

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, Locals 718/30, retired firefighter/medic; univ faculty NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
- Strategy & Quantitative Methods Med-M&M, Law discriminatory statistics, Med & PH - epidemiology statistics;
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3
-------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------No Not an Intuit Employee - Just donating my time

Who said you had to file with an accountant for 2 years?  That is not true.  You can still file a Joint return for 2 years after your spouse died if you have a child.  He died in Jan 2015?  Then for 2015 you could still file a Joint return.  Did you file Joint last year?

Decedent returns has issues efiling when using a self prepared program so the poster used a paid preparer instead.  It may have not been necessary but it is done now.
ScruffyCurmudgeon

USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

There is nothing special to filing as a Single Person ... just choose your program and follow the interview. You should start with a new user ID and password since you have been gone for 2 tax years.

ScruffyCurmudgeon

Typical advice to a surviving spouse who does self-preparation of returns:  In order to ensure acceptance of Form 1310, simply file a printed and mailed return - in and of itself, the filing need not require a professional preparer.
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3