Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tal383838

How can I keep my refund even though I owe taxes. Can I amend and file for economic hardship form 433A or F?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How can I keep my refund even though I owe taxes. Can I amend and file for economic hardship form 433A or F?

See this thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/is-it-possible-to-use-form-433-a-so-that...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Generally, you will only receive a refund if the refund exceeds your total balance due on all outstanding tax liabilities including accruals.

If you have an installment agreement on another tax period, one of the conditions of your installment agreement is that the IRS will automatically apply any refund (or overpayment) due to you against taxes you owe. Because your refund isn't applied toward your regular monthly payment, continue making your installment agreement payments as scheduled.

But if you are facing a serious financial hardship and need your refund immediately, the IRS can consider not following its usual procedures of taking the refund. Instead, it may release and expedite part or all the refund to help with your hardship.

Request an expedited refund by calling the IRS at 800-829-1040 (TTY/TDD 800-829-4059).

• Explain your hardship situation; and
  • Request a manual refund expedited to you.

The IRS will likely request documentation of your financial hardship such as copies of shutoff notices, eviction or foreclosure notices, etc., as well as other supporting information like a copy of your tax return with the refund claim.  Respond promptly to the IRS’s request.

Please see this link for more information.

@tal383838 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies