Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I amend my taxes with information from a corrected 1099-G?

I recently received a corrected 1099-G, so I need to amend my taxes. However, I keep getting this message: "Your return isn't ready to be amended yet. The IRS is making some updates that change how we support amended returns that include unemployment. We'll be updating our product after we have IRS guidance on the best way to file amended returns so they can be processed quickly and accurately."

I understand that this current hold on amends is due to the $10,200 exclusion from the recent passage of The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, but I am trying to correct the information in my return for reasons outside of that exclusion. How do I amend my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The state of Arizona underreported PUI income on 1099-Gs and recently sent out corrected forms. As the original poster noted above, there is no place to correct this in TurboTax. We KNOW we need to file amendments if we have already filed, the question is WHERE to file the amendment. The choices in TurboTax are as follows: W-2, Tax Extenders, 1098-T, 1098-E, 1095-A, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, or different reasons that do NOT include 1099-G. It would be really great if TurboTax could provide a solution.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed including your unemployment compensation, you cannot amend your return.  The IRS says they will directly send you the refund.

If you have already filed, you do not need to file or amend unless the calculations make you newly eligible for additional federal credits and deductions not already included on the original tax return.

For details, read here: IRS update on unemployment compensation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So the IRS will also automatically correct my return using the new amount from my 1099-G? I knew that they would automatically refund the money from the $10,200 exemption, but nothing I have read says they will automatically amend with a 1099-G correction.

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Why did they send you a corrected 1099-G?  

The amount of unemployment benefits that was paid to me was underreported on the first 1099-G. The second one reported the correct amount, which was over $2,000 higher.

In your case, with a corrected 1099-G and a higher amount of unemployment received, you will need to amend your return.  

When you amend and enter the new 1099-G, TurboTax will automatically adjust the amount so that you do not pay income taxes on the first $10,200 of the unemployment.

If your original return included that $10,200 then you will see the adjustment in your amount due or refund amount to reflect that change.  Your AGI will not include that $10,200 for your state or federal taxes.  

Follow the steps in this article:  How to Amend

@sda335

The state of Arizona underreported PUI income on 1099-Gs and recently sent out corrected forms. As the original poster noted above, there is no place to correct this in TurboTax. We KNOW we need to file amendments if we have already filed, the question is WHERE to file the amendment. The choices in TurboTax are as follows: W-2, Tax Extenders, 1098-T, 1098-E, 1095-A, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, or different reasons that do NOT include 1099-G. It would be really great if TurboTax could provide a solution.

Thank you.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes,  you can still file an amendment with 1099G even if you don't see it initially.

1. Log into Turbo Tax assuming you use Turbo Tax online
  2. When you reach the landing page, scroll to the bottom where your tax returns and documents are.
  3. Select 2020, and click on the option to amend and change return.
  4. The first Question should ask Which one of these forms do you need to add to your return? I do see a 1099G listed here but if you don't see it, there should be a button at the bottom that says my forms aren't listed here.
  5. Scroll through the screen until you get to a screen that says Here's the info for your amended federal return.
  6. At the bottom left of the page, select add more income.
  7. In this page, scroll down to Unemployment>show more
  8. Unemployment and paid family leave>start

Not solved. Clicking on amend 2020 return just goes to the message about automatic adjustments. AZ underreported UI by around 2K, and sent out a corrected 1099-G. This is a different reason to amend, TurboTax is not allowing access to amendment forms. Please solve.

You are correct that any returns where the return has unemployment benefits are not currently able to be amended.  When amend is available again, you will enter the corrected 1099-G under federal wages and income.

@Cactuswren1

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies