Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andrewdko

How can I access all of my records for a past record?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Your tax return?  What year?

Turbo Tax and the IRS only keeps the last 7 years. If they still have it……..
How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023. I had to go though about 12 screens.

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online. So you need to make and keep your own backups.

Or request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Or get a copy of your return using form 4506
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

andrewdko

Thank you, VolvoGirl, this was helpful. I'm able to find my 2021 return as a PDF but I can't seem to find the documents that I uploaded even when I click into My Docs. I'm looking at my Schedule D that shows my capital gains and losses but trying to see if I included all of my investments from that year.

What's prompting this is the IRS sent me a letter that I did not report proceeds from a specific investment account and I am pretty sure I did. I can't tell based on the numbers on my Schedule D so trying to figure out all the docs that I uploaded in 2021.

@andrewdko 

If you download a NEW PDF of that year's (2021) taxes from your account, the new PDF copy you get will now contain a ton of worksheets.   

(that won't happen automatically for 2023 PDF files until sometime in November)

There are several worksheets that feed into a Schedule D......BUT,  Look for one called "Captial Asset Sales Worksheet".  That one contains a lot of info or all the asset sales you may have entered in one way or another.  IF you had so many transactions that it fills all of that worksheet's lines (20), then there is usually a "Supplemental  Worksheet" in the PDF that details the ones that overflowed.

Try that, and see what's there.

The data you may have uploaded into the tax software, directly from the Financial providers or brokerages, does not look exactly like the paper forms you may have received from them....so don't look for those exact sheets.  What gets uploaded into the software is just a stream of data, formatted specifically to interface with the various software providers computer packages.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies