Solved: How bad did I screw things up by submitting an amended return before I received the original ones? Got a 1099-B I was unaware of right after I filed for 2017!

How bad did I screw things up by submitting an amended return before I received the original ones? Got a 1099-B I was unaware of right after I filed for 2017!

Your tax return was “just filed” or accepted, but you went back to it and “amended” by adding or changing something and you “e-filed” the changes?

That is not how to amend your return.  If you changed anything on your “just-filed” or already accepted return, and then “e-filed” the changes, those changes went nowhere.

When you amend a return you need to be working from the return as it was originally, so restore those “changes” you made to the way your return was before you tried to “fix” it.

The way to amend your tax return is to wait for it to be fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can use a form called the 1040X to prepare an amended tax return to add a W-2, your student loan interest, a 1099R, or whatever else you originally forgot to include.  (or to change a dependent’s status, etc.)

Amend 2017

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed?...

What did you do to "amend?"  Did you actually prepare a 1040X that you printed, signed and mailed?  Or did you just try to add something and e-file the change?

add something and efile the change

You can only print, sign and mail in an amended form...if you didn't do that, the amended return has not been filed anywhere.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Amend 2017