turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dianegmor

How and when do I amend my 2022 tax return because I forgot to include social security income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How and when do I amend my 2022 tax return because I forgot to include social security income?

You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

View solution in original post

12 Replies

You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

How to Amend this year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

Hi,

I am preparing my amend tax for 2022, using TurboTax. I got vouchers. What are they for and how to use them?

Appreciate, Maury

Do you have 1040V voucher or 1040ES slips?  

If you are amending, ignore the 1040V. That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting. Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.

The 1040ES are estimates for next year.  They are optional to pay.  So you don't owe too much next year.  If you are receiving a refund or low tax due and Turbo Tax prepared the vouchers then your tax liability was probably reduced by credits. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year like if you took a IRA or 401k distribution.

I have 1040ES slips by different due dates, 4/18/2023, 6/15/2023, 9/15/2023 and 01/16/2024. What to do with this vouchers?  Keep it for the next year? Thanks, Maury

They are to send in extra payments with each one or throw them away, shred them.

The 1040ES are estimates for next year. The 1040ES quarterly estimated tax payments DO NOT get sent to the IRS or state with your return. So they won't be expecting them.  They are optional to pay. Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe too much next year. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year. Like if you took a IRA or 401K distribution. You can ignore them. You might want to adjust your withholding at work so you won't owe too much next year.

Thanks a lot for helping.

I  am preparing my amend tax for 2022, using TurboTax. The reason was that I forgot to contribute money into T IRA, but included the contribution into my tax return. Is any other ways to improve my mistake, but just do amendment? Appreciate, Maury

You have to amend to take off the contribution.  That's all.  You don't have to pay the 1040ES slips unless you know you will have a lot of other income that doesn't have tax withholding taken out.  Like if you have self employment income or a lot of investments.  

Hi,

I send my federal amended tax using TurboTax electronic filling. I forgot 1) include my check, 2) sign  and date.  

Should I send my federal amended tax again by mail?

Appreciated, Maury

No do not mail the amended return.  Just send the tax due on 1040X line 20.

Or You can pay the IRS directly at

Https://www.irs.gov/payments

Ok, thanks a lot. About MN state amended return. Should I add also federal amended return, or just send state amended return?

Thanks a lot for helping, Maury         

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

If you are mailing your Minnesota amended tax return, then you need to include a copy of the federal return as well. See more details here.  

@maury2 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

appreciated, Maury

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies