turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the refund from a joint return be direct deposited to the checking account of the first person on the return? Or does it have to be to a joint account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CapB

Can the refund from a joint return be direct deposited to the checking account of the first person on the return? Or does it have to be to a joint account?

When filing a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return the IRS allows MFJ refunds to be direct deposited into accounts in your name, your spouse’s name or both (joint account).

However, rules vary by state and financial institution; to be sure, verify with your financial institution if they accept joint refunds into individual accounts.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CapB

When filing a Married Filing Joint (MFJ) return the IRS allows MFJ refunds to be direct deposited into accounts in your name, your spouse’s name or both (joint account).

However, rules vary by state and financial institution; to be sure, verify with your financial institution if they accept joint refunds into individual accounts.

Thanks.  The bank is Wells Fargo.  I will give it a try.  I understand that if the bank rejects it the IRS will mail a check.
CapB

Yes, if the bank will not deposit an IRS refund, the IRS will issue a check and mail it to the address on file.
Bdubtx44

Hey californiasteven... I'm in the same boat, did Wells Fargo Deposit it?

Any updates on this??

If anyone is ever wondering this for next year:
I'm primary on taxes and primary on checking. Wife is not on checking account.

Wells Fargo will deposit!

Primary has to be on account or bank will reject it. It will take up to 3 months to receive check.. I’m going through same thing. Direct deposit date was 2/22 on 3/20 receive cp53a saying it will take 10 weeks for irs to research and a check will be mailed

Does anyone know if Chase Bank Will? I and my mom are on the account, He is not. We are married but don't live together. will they let the check be deposited into my account?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies