turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tashayb25

Hello guys if a person is audited on unemployment benefits can they still file taxes this year? I’m asking for a friend thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello guys if a person is audited on unemployment benefits can they still file taxes this year? I’m asking for a friend thanks.

Not sure what " audited on  unemployment benefits " means ... are they being denied benefits ?   

No matter ... filing an income tax return has nothing to do with unemployment benefits. 

As far as income taxes go, all your friend needs to know about that is that unemployment compensation is taxable income on a federal return, so if he is receiving unemployment in 2020, he will have to enter the 1099G for it on his 2020 tax return.  He will probably need to get it from the unemployment website himself at tax time.

Some states also tax unemployment compensation---if his state is one of them, the information will flow from the federal return to the state return in TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Your friend has to file his 2019 tax return, and report the unemployment benefits that he received in 2019, as shown on his 2019 Form 1099-G. If he has to repay any of his 2019 unemployment benefits in 2020, that will be reflected on his 2020 tax return. If he has to repay in 2020 any unemployment benefits that he received in 2020, that will also be shown on his 2020 tax return.

The bottom line is that having his unemployment benefits audited in 2020 does not affect his 2019 tax return or stop him from filing his 2019 tax return. Any repayment of unemployment benefits is reported on the tax return for the year that he makes the repayment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies