turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drusefton

Hello: Can I amend my 2020 return, which I filed last week? I forgot some income!

My husband started receiving a monthly pension and I totally forgot to include that. The feds have accepted my return. How can I amend it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Hello: Can I amend my 2020 return, which I filed last week? I forgot some income!

An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

drusefton

Great, thanks! My returns were e-filed. Now what? Apparently I can't use Form 1040-X since I e-filed? Thanks again.

@drusefton wrote:

Great, thanks! My returns were e-filed. Now what? Apparently I can't use Form 1040-X since I e-filed? Thanks again.

If you e-filed the 2020 federal tax return, then you can e-file the federal amended tax return, Form 1040-X.

geomo1

I filed my return several weeks ago and have received a refund.  I have now realized I forgot some pension funds.  When and how do I amend my return?

@geomo1 wrote:

I filed my return several weeks ago and have received a refund.  I have now realized I forgot some pension funds.  When and how do I amend my return?

An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

i have a question that is somewhat related since it deals with an amended tax return. was wondering if you might know. i filed my 2020 tax return already and got refund. the third stim was processed after it was filed so it was used to determine if i qualify for the the payment. i was $2k over the limit and did no receive it. 

However I never realized that i can file as head of household (i do meet the qualifications for it). I always thought it was a married person thing so never even looked into it. if i file as head of household and IRS accepts the return and process it, will they automatically go back and pay the third stim. I have tried since they made the stim payment to get an answer but can never get through to the IRS to ask them

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

You should not file an amended return until IRS has completed processing of the original return filed.  It may take 4 weeks or more after you have e-filed your return.

The 1040X form for paper filing and e-filing will be available about 3/26/2021.

Please refer to the following link for the TurboTax Expected Availability date for federal forms for the version of TurboTax you are using:

TurboTax Expected federal forms availability link

Please refer to the following link for requirements for filing the head of household filing status:

Do I qualify to file head of household

Not with TurboTax.  I purchased a 2020 desktop copy of Turbo, hoping to amend.   Nope.  Turbotax won't let me do that!!   What no 1040X?

Advice to the TurboTax community from Turbo Tax:

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

This link is broken.

@TQuintero Thanks, this is a known problem.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

@TQuintero A 2020 amended tax return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.

Open the 2020 TurboTax program.  Continue the 2020 tax return you want to amend.

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Other Tax Situations

Under Other Tax Forms

On Amend a return, click on start

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies