turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need 2015 tax data for my FAFSA, but I cannot access it. How do I get this info?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I need 2015 tax data for my FAFSA, but I cannot access it. How do I get this info?

Have you located the 2015 return, but is access locked because it was prepared in Free Edition, so it asks you to upgrade to PLUS (29.99)?    Or do you find no evidence of the 2015 return at all?

And what is the story on your current 2016 return?   Have you already filed your 2016 return with Online TurboTax, or is it still in preparation?  Or was it prepared outside of TurboTax?

When I located my 2015 return it asked to upgrade to plus, but I could not find anywhere to do that for the 2015 return.

As for my 2016 return I had already filed it on TurboTax and can easily access it for any information I need.

You may be able to find the information you need  for FAFSA by getting a transcript of your 2015 return from the IRS
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript">https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript</a>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are unable to get a transcript, it is the 2016 return that has to be upgraded to PLUS and paid for (29.99) to unlock the 2015 return.

I'll tell you below how to upgrade your already-filed 2016 return to PLUS and pay with credit/debit card.  That should unlock all prior returns IF they are in the same account.  It will NOT unlock the prior return if it is in a different account.  If you have 2 accounts, then the workaround is more difficult.

Here's how to upgrade your already-filed 2016 return and pay for PLUS by credit/debit card.  If you have already tried and are already in PLUS, then do not upgrade any further.

NOTE:  Make sure you are in the same account as the locked 2015 return, or it won't work.

Since you have already filed the 2016 return, here's how to open it back up and pay for the PLUS.

• Scroll down to "Some things you can do."
  • Choose "Add a state." (you don't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open you should see an  Upgrade link at the top.
  • The minimum upgrade to unlock the returns is PLUS (29.99).
  • If you are already in PLUS, then the upgrade option for PLUS will be grayed out.  So do not upgrade any further.
  • If you are now in PLUS,  then you need to pay.
  • While the return is still open, click on MY ACCOUNT at the top, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print/save/view this year's return."  (yes, you say "this year's".)  You won't actually have to print it.
  • It should then prompt you to pay by credit/debit card.

NOTE:  If it should offer you the option to pay the fee out of your Federal refund, that cannot be done for this unlocking purpose.  You will need to pay by credit/debit card.

NOTE:   While you can use this method to open a return for upgrading purposes to unlock prior returns, do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return.   If you later need to make changes, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies