Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have to make an amendment after filling, and now I owe but I haven’t received the refund.

I filed my taxes and it was accepted, but now someone else will claim the dependent I claimed and I have received a notice from the IRS staying I need to send documentation. Initially I was going to receive money but after the amendment I will owe, but I haven’t received the refund so I can sent it plus whatever the difference is. Now I’m stuck not knowing how to handle this situation.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Have to make an amendment after filling, and now I owe but I haven’t received the refund.

You are expected to pay whatever it is you owe, regardless of whether or not you have received the initial refund.

If you are unable to pay the full amount right now, reply to the IRS letter saying that you are unable to make payment in full until you receive the refund. Always reply to IRS letters, even if you can't immediately do what they want.

Perhaps that will buy you 30 days. But eventually, you are going to (1) have to find the money and send it to them, or (2) enter into a payment plan with the IRS where you can pay it out over time. You can do this online at this webpage

But whatever you do, keep talking to them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the reply, just to add more details in there. I was initially going to receive about $3300 but after the amendment I will owe $4200 but that’s including the return of the initial refund. I do not want to amend my taxes and then have to pay $4200 instead of the difference $900 plus any other fees. Also the letter states not to file and amendment.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If they didn't send you the original refund then you do not need to pay it back.  You only owe that difference.  The $900 and change.  Send that in to the address on your letter and that should solve the problem.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, just a follow up question, so when I reply to the IRS’a letter, I just let them know I will be amending my taxes and no longer will need to provide documentation for the dependent I will not longer claim? And then file an amendment? The letter I received states: “ Enclose only information requested and supporting documents and this letter. Don’t respond with a form 1040-X. I’m not really sure what to tell them? Also after I mail in my response, do I wait for their response and then file the amendment? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies