If you did not file a federal return with TurboTax, you are not able to e-file just the state in TurboTax since it pulls information from the federal return. So if you have filed federal with another tax preparer, you can do one of the two options listed below.
NOTE: If you have already filed your federal return with TurboTax, you can just log back in and go to File tab and file your state return. The federal return must already be accepted by IRS in order to e-file the state return. And you can use these steps to get back into that return, if you filed federal with us.
- Login to your TurboTax account.
- In the Welcome Home box, click Visit My Tax Timeline at the bottom.
- In the SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO section, click Add a state (not really adding one).
- Click on the State Taxes tab.
- Click Continue to start or complete your state taxes.
- Click Done with State.
- Continue through the flow to review and file your state taxes.
- You may want to review the State Taxes section to confirm the return is complete.
If you are using the mobile app or CD/Download version, go here for steps to submit the state return https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3591540