Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Has it taken anyone else longer than two days for the IRS to accept your tax return? I filled on the 11th and it's still pending? Is it the shutdown ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Has it taken anyone else longer than two days for the IRS to accept your tax return? I filled on the 11th and it's still pending? Is it the shutdown ?

A small test batch was recently accepted by the IRS.  Everyone else gets to wait

The IRS will not begin to accept/reject returns until January 28.  Until then, e-filed returns will just be sitting on a server, waiting.  You will receive an email after that date letting you know if your return was accepted or rejected.  It will probably take several days after January 28 for them to work through the backlog of returns on the server.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The IRS has stated they will not start processing any tax returns until Jan 28th, 2019. So you can expect it to stay in pending status until the 28th or after.

I efiled on the 6th still not accepted.it has never taken  this long just to get  accepted before. Did turbo tax really file it

Turbo Tax is still holding it.  The IRS won’t take it until they open on Jan 28.  You have to wait.

There are a lot of people who have gotten  accepted. I always file early and they except  early.for many years

A small test batch was recently accepted by the IRS.  Everyone else gets to wait

The IRS will not begin to accept/reject returns until January 28.  Until then, e-filed returns will just be sitting on a server, waiting.  You will receive an email after that date letting you know if your return was accepted or rejected.  It will probably take several days after January 28 for them to work through the backlog of returns on the server.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4169486-can-i-change-my-return-if-i-already-submitted-it-and-you-r...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Even for those pulled by the RIS for testing their systems, that does not mean those are processed first. The IRS does not work on a "first come first served" basis, as their are laws they have to follow. For example, if you qualify for EIC, then by law the IRS can not issue your refund before Feb 15th.

I was accepted on January 14th and Turbo Tax says that my refund deposit date is the 02/04/2019, even though I have an EIC.  I wasn't too sure about that so I called Turbotax and they stated that even though I have the EIC, I will still get it on the 4th.  I am so confused and I am still not sure that is the case.  

Not sure what you are seeing.  If you are getting EIC the law is that the IRS will not issue your refund before mid-February, so do not expect it in your account earlier than the end of February at best.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3397970-some-2018-federal-refunds-will-be-delayed-due-to-the-path-...>

How sure are you that a test batch exists? I called the IRS and she wouldn't even attempt to look up my file, which is weird.  She did however state that all returns will start January 28th.  
Carl
Level 15

I am one thousand percent sure, since it comes straight off the IRS website at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2018-tax-filing-season-begins-jan-29-tax-returns-due-april-17-help-avai...>
So if a return is "accepted" before that date, the IRS is just testing their systems.

That’s for last year’s filing in 2018.  Here’s this year’s
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28">https://www.irs.gov...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies