Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dshu4

Got letter requesting completed form 8962. What is it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

8962 is a form created when you enter your 1095-A form. The IRS needs you to mail in this form.

Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit is required when someone on your tax return had health insurance in 2017 through Healthcare.gov (or a state marketplace) and took the Advance Premium Tax Credit to lower their monthly premium. We'll help you create (or correct) the form in TurboTax.

First, find your form 1095-A. (This won’t be in TurboTax—you should have received a paper form in the mail from your marketplace.) Then, follow the instructions below for your version of TurboTax.

When you're done in TurboTax, you'll need to print out form 8962 and mail or fax it to the IRS, along with any other items requested in their letter (IRS Letter 0012c).

If there's a change to your refund amount or the amount you owe, you'll need to print out and send page 2 of your 1040 or 1040A.

Keep in mind:

• Respond promptly.
    • If you disagree with the IRS, respond with an explanation--and with the item(s) they're requesting.
  • You don't need to complete or send a Form 1040X (amended tax return) to the IRS.
    • Send page 2 of your 1040 or 1040A only if the refund or owed amount has changed.

You will need to Amend your tax Return.

Please follow the instructions below to enter in your Form 1095-A (which will automatically prepare Form 8962) as well as print your return.

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online using your username and password
  2. Click on My Taxes
  3. Click on Amend (change return) under Some things you can do (Note, you will not send in the amendment Form 1040X, instead we are just using the amendment feature to prepare the documents the IRS is requesting.)
  4. Click on Amend Using TurboTax Online
  5. Click on Continue
  6. Click Yes, I need to amend a return I already filed, then click I need to amend my 2017 return
  7. Next select update or edit next to 1095-A (health insurance premium tax credits for 8962)
  8. Enter your Form 1095-A.
  9. Next, click on My Account
  10. Click on Tools
  11. Click on Print Center, then select the current year return
  12. Under printing Options, select all forms from the drop-down and click view or print.
  13. Then you can print Form 8962 and the second page for your 1040 and respond to the IRS notice either phone or by mail.

Note: If you are on a mobile device, you will not have access to My Account or Tools.

hootrr

Hello, 

I received the following message from healthcare.gov concerning my upcoming enrollment for 2020. I have not received anything from the IRS and I have paid all taxes that I am aware of from previous years...please advise...Do I need to do anything ?

"Here are 3 actions you may need to take to make sure you have the best chance of keeping your financial help:
1. If you got advance payments of the premium tax credit in a past year and didn’t file a tax return with IRS Form 8962, file now.
If a tax return with “IRS Form 8962—Premium Tax Credit” wasn’t filed for this household for any past year that advance payments of the premium tax credit were made, it must be filed now. You should do this immediately even if you don’t usually have to file taxes or if you asked for a tax filing extension that year. You may have also gotten a notice from the IRS letting you know that you received advance payments of the premium tax credit but haven’t filed a tax return."

The short answer is TT messed you up.

Forbes says - if you made less than 34k this year and paid TT - you most likely were ripped off.  I know I was ripped off by them. First, they messed up my return by not filing the healthcare credit reconciliation; then they blamed me for that - saying it was my error (when clearly tons of other people got the same raw deal); they told me it was my fault I was charged for TT (despite the fact that I followed a link THEY sent to me via email); and they deny now that they offer a 100% money back guarantee.  SCAMMERS AND LIARS. REPORT THEM TO THE IRS.  REPORT THEM TO YOUR REPRESENTATIVES - AND MOST OF ALL - NEVER EVER EVER USE TURBOTAX AGAIN.  

- ps The Marketplace will bar you from ever getting healthcare credits in the future if you don't get the mess straightened out.  Don't bother trying to get help from TT - they just try to extort more money from you.  REPORT THEM. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@dshu4

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/00/27409

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies