Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got a letter from IRS: THIS IS NOT A TAX BILL. It shows the taxable interest paid to you during calendar year by Internal Revenue Service

In 2021 I worked last in US, in July of that year I was repatriated to my country of origin. In around 2022 I filed my return successfully for the previous year, but this year in 2024 I get this letter stating that I might have to file this with form 1099-INT.

However I did not a have a new W-2 anymore since I haven't worked in US since 2021. 

(It does say "If you required to file a tax return, report this interest as income on your return")

Any advice?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Got a letter from IRS: THIS IS NOT A TAX BILL. It shows the taxable interest paid to you during calendar year by Internal Revenue Service

That sounds like the IRS paid you interest on a refund. 

If the IRS paid you interest, you must claim that as income for the tax year in which you received the interest payment. 

Did you get the interest in 2023? 

Do you need to file for 2023? 

How much was the interest payment? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you get the interest in 2023?

Ans: I received it in January 2024. Calendar year in the letter says 2023. (I'm guessing it's because International mail takes time).

Do you need to file for 2023?

Ans: No since I don't have a W-2 for 2022. I didn't work in US in 2022. I worked till July 2021 and haven't since.

How much was the interest payment?

Ans: $26.55

Quick question, if I don't have a W-2, how can I file a return without it. Since I won't be able to fill a Form 1040 without it? Do I just fill the Form 1099-INT?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If the only US income that you have is $27 in interest from the IRS then you don't have a filing requirement for 2023.  You don't need to do anything at all.

@rajat_bh93 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies