Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1098-T Do I show my daughter on my return, or does she have to file her own return?

Very confused about the form 1098-T.  I have read and read community responses and I am finding conflicting answers. 

My daughter is in school.  She has no income as I am supporting her.  I am showing her as a dependent on my return.  She received a 1098-T.  Tuition- $386, and a Scholarship - $2,181.  

My question is, does she file a return, or do I show this on my return.  

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1098-T Do I show my daughter on my return, or does she have to file her own return?

Generally the 1098T is on the parent's return. 

However based on the numbers above (in the question) that is not the case.  So there is some taxable income and it does NOT get reported on the parents return but does get reported on the student's return.

Due to her being your dependent, she does not claim herself, and she will get the standard deduction of $6,300, so her income tax will be $0.  

Sorry for the confusion on this, and this is probably why you have seen this both way in the Forum.

General rule:  1098T is on return of person claiming the student as dependent.  

Exception is when the scholarship income exceeds the school expenses, then it is on the student's return as income. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Generally the 1098T is on the parent's return. 

However based on the numbers above (in the question) that is not the case.  So there is some taxable income and it does NOT get reported on the parents return but does get reported on the student's return.

Due to her being your dependent, she does not claim herself, and she will get the standard deduction of $6,300, so her income tax will be $0.  

Sorry for the confusion on this, and this is probably why you have seen this both way in the Forum.

General rule:  1098T is on return of person claiming the student as dependent.  

Exception is when the scholarship income exceeds the school expenses, then it is on the student's return as income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies