Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Fullbright scholarship from 2016-2017

Where do I file our earnings for my husband's 2016-2017 Fullbright Scholarship?
1 Reply
New Member

Fullbright scholarship from 2016-2017

Was this reported to you on a 1099-MISC?  If so, the tax reporting depends which box of the 1099-MISC is reporting your scholarship income.


IF box 3 reports your scholarship, report the form:

To enter/edit a 1099-MISC form:

  • Open (continue) your return if it's not already open.
  • In the Search box (top right-hand corner), type “1099-misc
  • Click on the Magnifying Glass icon.
  • Click on “Jump to 1099-misc” link high-lighted in Blue.
  • Answer the Step-by-step instructions.

and make adjustment using the steps below:

  1. Federal taxes
  2. Wages and Income
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income
  4. Select Miscellaneous Income.
  5. Select “Other reportable income”, click ‘Yes’ and you will be prompted to enter Description and amount. Please be sure to write a short explanation and enter the amount as a negative number.   At this point, the form 1040 will show full amount as taxable AND as a negative adjustment on line 21. The end result: form is reported but not taxable.

If box 7 reports the scholarship, you would have to report it as self-employed income, then enter the same amount as your "business" expense.  This will ensure that form 1099-MISC is reported for matching purposes, but the amount is not taxable as self-employment income.

1.        Federal Taxes

2.        Wages and Income

3.       Self-Employment, Select Income and Expenses - follow the interview questions; you would report the scholarship as if you own a business; once general questions are answered, you would enter the scholarship as an expense (you can create your own description). The end result: form 199-MISC is reported, but the income is not self-employment income, because it shouldn’t be.



To report scholarship income in Turbo Tax, you must visit Deductions and Credits, Education Expenses section. You must answer all the questions, the taxable amount will be computed as the excess of your scholarship over the qualified education expenses.

  1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deduction & Credits  
  3. Scroll down to Education
  4. Select Expenses and Scholarships
  5. Follow the prompts… It will be somewhat confusing as you are answering the questions as if you claim an education credit… answer the initial questions and select that you did not receive form 1098-T. You will be asked for school’s name and address, just fill out the program information you are in... You will eventually see a screen "Did (your name) receive a scholarship or grant in 2016? Please enter your scholarship in other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships; this will ensure that the scholarship is taxable on line 7 form 1040 as wages.

Once done, you may review your form 1040 and to verify that line 7 of the form looks correct.  You may do so prior to paying for the program:

  1. From My Account drop down, select Tools (you must be logged into your tax return)
  2. Select View Tax Summary
  3. Select Preview my 1040 


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings