turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JimB9

Forms to submit with schedule D

Hi everyone, I can use the communities help. I received a letter from the IRS asking me to submit a Schedule D and all supporting forms. I prepared my return through Turbo Tax and the line in question (7) has a check mark indicating that a schedule D is not required. I have found schedule D in Turbo Tax which is completed but am not sure if there are other forms that I need to submit, as there is mention of 8949 but none of the entries required for the 8949 are relevant to my taxes. Any assistance/guidance is greatly appreciated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you reported a sale of assets or form 1099-B TurboTax would have completed form 8949 and Sch D. Include both with your reply to the IRS. 

@JimB9 

The checkmark happens when you get a 1099-Div with an amount in Box 2a,

and nothing else to report on Schedule D.

You can get Schedule D in fillable PDF format for manual preparation.

Put the amount you see on 1040  Line 7 on Schedule D lines 13,15,16. 

Or, Print the Schedule D from TurboTax if it is filled out.

Schedule D lines 1a and 8a do not require Form 8949.

Give that Schedule D to IRS and they should be satisfied.

The IRS should not be requesting Schedule D/8949 if 

You don’t have to file Form 8949 or Schedule D if you aren’t deferring any capital gain by investing in a qualified opportunity zone fund and both of the following apply.
1. You have no capital losses, and your only capital gains are capital gain distributions from Form(s) 1099-DIV, box 2a (or substitute statements); and
2. None of the Form(s) 1099-DIV (or substitute statements) have an amount in box 2b (unrecaptured section 1250 gain), box 2c (section 1202 gain), or box 2d (collectibles (28%) gain).

sometimes the IRS doesn't know its own rules. 

do not ignore the notice. respond appropriately like I only had capital gain distributions for which schedule D is not required by your own rules. Don't know all versions of Turbotax but if you only had capital gain dividends there shouldn't be a schedule D in your return. if there is and there are amounts on any line 1 through 14 except 13, there is something wrong because amounts on those other lines would indicate that Schedule D needed to be filed. 

JimB9

Thank you everyone for your feedback all of your input was helpful! 

As Fanfare suggested I do have a 1099-Div with an amount in box2a and nothing else to report on the schedule D. I will be completing the schedule D as suggested and forwarding this to the IRS.

@Mike9241 

I suspect that this is a case where the IRS "Doesn't know it's own rules" as my return met both criteria that you laid out. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies