Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Workbank
Returning Member

Form 8938

I know that you only have to fill form 8938 if you need to file a tax return, regardless of whether you meet the threshold for reporting. 

I filed a return for 2020 but I did not need to (my income was lower than the threshold, only $1150). I forgot to add interest and dividends which is only $700 for the year. Should I amend the return? Is there any point?

I completed the FBAR because I have to do that regardless. 

But turbotax didn't tell me to fill form 8938, should I file this form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Form 8938

Specified individuals and specified domestic entities that have an interest in specified foreign financial assets and meet the reporting threshold:

A Form 8938 is only required to be filed if -

• Unmarried individual (or married filing separately): Total value of assets was more than $50,000 on the last day of the tax year, or more than $75,000 at any time during the year.

• Married individual filing jointly: Total value of assets was more than $100,000 on the last day of the tax year, or more than $150,000 at any time during the year

Go to this IRS website for reporting requirements for a Form 8938 and FinCEN Form 114 - https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies