turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing an Amended 2018 Fed and New York State return using download version

1. Can one file an amended 2018 New York State return electronically using the download TT version? It seems like the answer is yes from following the TT instructions almost through submitting), though I’ve seen mixed or unclear feedback in answers provided. Please advise and thanks very much. 2. Can one set up bank info in TT for an amended 2018 Fed Return having a refund, when the original return had a payment due? I don’t see a place when going through the amended return process to put bank info for a refund. Note that there was still tax due, just less than originally filed, hence why there'll be a refund. Will IRS just use the bank account provided in the original filing from where they pulled the amount due? Please advise or elaborate. Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Thanks xmasbaby0 for your feedback and information.  Understood re check refunds and that I can wait a bit though the return is from 2018 and was fully processed already.

Just a follow up re New York State. I should mail in the New York State Amended return as well as the Fed Amended return, correct?   And this is still the case even if it looks like Turbo Tax allows one to electronically submit a NYS Amended Return?

Finally, just to confirm, for an amended return, one needs to mail all required forms (the 1st option when you in the print return section), right?

Thanks again and have a nice day.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Amended returns must be mailed.  They cannot be e-filed.

If you are amending a federal return and getting a refund the IRS only issues that refund as a paper check that is mailed to the address on your tax return.  They do not do a direct deposit for an amended return.

Further....do not try to amend a return that has not been fully processed already.  If you send in an amended return before the original return has been processed, you are just setting yourself and the IRS up for confusion and delays.  You have three years from the filing deadline to file an amended return.

Right now, the IRS is digging its way through months of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers.  So there is no hurry to mail your Form 1040X to a trailer.  Hold off for awhile.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks xmasbaby0 for your feedback and information.  Understood re check refunds and that I can wait a bit though the return is from 2018 and was fully processed already.

Just a follow up re New York State. I should mail in the New York State Amended return as well as the Fed Amended return, correct?   And this is still the case even if it looks like Turbo Tax allows one to electronically submit a NYS Amended Return?

Finally, just to confirm, for an amended return, one needs to mail all required forms (the 1st option when you in the print return section), right?

Thanks again and have a nice day.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies