sdegrate8

Filing 1040X - Refund to Now Owe

I filed my 2016 taxes and received a refund of $7k.  Unfortunately, I overlooked a 1099-R withdrawal on the original filing.  I also neglected to add a dependent (parent) to the return who lives with me.

Now that I have completed the entries (1099-R & dependent) in the 1040X TurboTax shows I owe $14k.  I am wondering if the amount shown includes the $7k the IRS originally refunded me?

DaveF1006

Filing 1040X - Refund to Now Owe

Yes, this includes the original $7K plus $7K.  If this had been filed with the 1099R and the dependent parent originally, the tax owed would have been $7k. 

DaveF1006

Filing 1040X - Refund to Now Owe

Filing 1040X - Refund to Now Owe

That seems like a pretty big swing.  Make sure the original refund or tax paid shows up on the amended return.  You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.