Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed wrong tax return for 2018 in 2021.

I filed an old 2018 W2 form on January 14th 2021 and it's been accepted on TurboTax. I also checked the box where it said I could claim my $600 second stimulus check that I've already received on January 29th from my 2019 Tax return that I filed in 2019. Tax season is here and I was wondering if TurboTax was going to reject the claim seeing the deadline to file a 2018 Tax Return was April 17th of 2018.

I have my current W2 form from my job for 2020 which came in the mail in January 16th and was rejected on TaxSlayer.com because I was silly enough to file a 2018 tax return and now I have to wait for TurboTax to reject the 2018 return. It says accepted but someone said that accepted doesn't mean approved and it will most likely get denied because of incorrect information. Please shed some light on this subject and help me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Regarding the 2020 return, the first step is to wait for the 2020 return to be accepted or rejected.

• If and when the 2020 return has been rejected, go into the return and follow these steps:
    • First, update it for only 2020 W-2 information.
    • Next, fix the stimulus payment.
      • To get back to the stimulus section by following these steps:
        • Type stimulus in the search box.
        • Select the Jump to link.
        • Report that you got the $600 for the second stimulus in the second box.
    • Change anything else you need to change.
    • Lastly, resubmit the return.
  • If the 2020 return is not rejected, it will need to be changed. To make changes, file an amended return following these steps: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

Regarding the 2018 tax return to report the 2018 W-2, you will need the program for 2018 tax rules. First, purchase TurboTax CD/Download for 2018. Then, report the 2018 W-2 there along with anything else that was reportable in 2018.

If 2018 was never filed, it is not an amended return. Just report the income, print out the return, and mail it to the Federal and to the state (if you live in a state that collects income taxes). TurboTax will walk you through everything you need to file.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Regarding the 2020 return, the first step is to wait for the 2020 return to be accepted or rejected.

• If and when the 2020 return has been rejected, go into the return and follow these steps:
    • First, update it for only 2020 W-2 information.
    • Next, fix the stimulus payment.
      • To get back to the stimulus section by following these steps:
        • Type stimulus in the search box.
        • Select the Jump to link.
        • Report that you got the $600 for the second stimulus in the second box.
    • Change anything else you need to change.
    • Lastly, resubmit the return.
  • If the 2020 return is not rejected, it will need to be changed. To make changes, file an amended return following these steps: How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

Regarding the 2018 tax return to report the 2018 W-2, you will need the program for 2018 tax rules. First, purchase TurboTax CD/Download for 2018. Then, report the 2018 W-2 there along with anything else that was reportable in 2018.

If 2018 was never filed, it is not an amended return. Just report the income, print out the return, and mail it to the Federal and to the state (if you live in a state that collects income taxes). TurboTax will walk you through everything you need to file.

TurboTax just provided my Amended 1040x return but it's not available until 2/26. If I do amend and put my 2020 tax return on it do they allow me to electronically file it or do I have to print and mail it in?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

On an amended return, you will need to print and mail in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS doesn't approve 2018 tax returns especially when i've already received my $600 second stimulus check. The current status says Federal and State accepted but it hasn't been approved. This is incorrect information and they should deny the claim seeing it's false information right?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not check W-2s. The IRS does. We don’t have any records of what numbers your employer sent to the IRS so we have nothing to cross check against. Additionally, TurboTax is a tax preparation program. We are not auditors.

The IRS may adjust or hold your refund because the W-2 number you reported does not match what the IRS has on file. However, at this time of year, the IRS gets millions of W-2s submitted by employers. It takes months for the IRS to put all the information into their computers and do cross matching.

As @ KathrynG3 said, if your return is accepted and you receive your refund, it’s best to file an amended return rather than wait for the IRS to issue a correction. That could take years. And if you owe tax, the IRS will add penalty and interest for the whole time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies