Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed Amendment before receiving original refund - out 8k

I initially underreported my W2 income on my NY state tax return (didn't understand how the part-year resident income was calculated), and was due for a 9k refund from NY state. However after I discovered my error I filed an amended return and the amendment showed that I owed 8k (so I guess it nets out to a 1k refund).

So far, 8k has been withdrawn from my checking account by the NY state tax authority from the amended return. Should I be expecting a 9k refund to still be forthcoming?

[Numbers rounded to nearest 1k.]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

YES the original refund will be sent .... you should have waited to file the amended return until the original refund was sent or the original balance due was paid.   The fed/state will not start processing the amended return until the original return has been fully processed ...they are  separate returns and as such process separately ... they do not "meet up" at anytime. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Read the amended state return ... it should show you the amount you paid on the original return (line 76)   with then amended refund at the end.  

Line 76 on the form IT-203-X is about the reason for amendment.

I think my broader question is will I still be receiving the refund check from the original filing? I amended almost immediately.

YES the original refund will be sent .... you should have waited to file the amended return until the original refund was sent or the original balance due was paid.   The fed/state will not start processing the amended return until the original return has been fully processed ...they are  separate returns and as such process separately ... they do not "meet up" at anytime. 

Thanks for the answer. Yeah, that's what I gathered after reading some of the answers on the forum but it's too late for that now. Will just be patient and await the original refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies