turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ShermickaReed
Returning Member

Federal Amount changed

Hello, question. I received my return earlier this year prior to the tax law change for unemployment. Why does Turbo tax now show a higher amount than what I actually received? I didn't amend or change anything either but my old amount compared to the new one has a pretty big difference.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Federal Amount changed

The IRS is resolving these issues and refunding the tax paid on the first $10,200 of unemployment.  That will increase the amount of your refund or reduce the amount owed for 2020.

Federal Amount changed

the turbotax people have decided to change your return back and forth.

Sometimes your additional refund is shown and sometimes it is not.

They only do it to annoy because they know it teases.

ShermickaReed
Returning Member

Federal Amount changed

They shouldn't have done that to me. It really has/had me thinking I'm expecting over $4000 with the new tax change only to only get $1600 from IRS after my initial return.

Federal Amount changed

Ok ... first for the online program only ... they changed the returns  when they added the unemployment & PTC changes  to the program  but then changed it back  so that the AGI from the original return would be passed thru to the 2021 program to make efiling easier.   

But then they put the changes back to make the return reflect the changes the IRS will eventually make to the return  so that those who need to amend the return has the column A on the 1040X correct place to start.   

However this is not really as helpful as it sounds like because when the return was updated by the 2 changes not only did it update the credits already on the return it ALSO added ones that were not on the original return which is what needs to be amended to add those so this year's mid season changes have made a total mess of things ... we can thank congress for the impossible position a lot of people find themselves in.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies