turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error while filing 1040-X

Hi,

I got a notice citing Spouse SSN is not matching the records from IRS. I happened to use ITIN like previously but this is the first time I got this notice. I am working on filing an amendment to this return to update SSN in place of ITIN, While I am filing during the Run Smart Check, I am receiving an error saying "Spouse SSN much match TIN in the original return to be able to file 1040-X electronically"

Could you help on how could I fix this error?

Also, is there anything I could do like visiting IRS office so as to have this updated quickly?

I tried reaching IRS phone customer service but could never get in to touch with any of the agents.

Appreciate any help you could provide. thanks!

Regards,

Naveen.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Naveenkk wrote:

While I am filing during the Run Smart Check, I am receiving an error saying "Spouse SSN much match TIN in the original return to be able to file 1040-X electronically"

Could you help on how could I fix this error?

You can't fix it. The IRS does not allow an amended return to be e-filed if it is changing the TIN of the taxpayer or spouse. You have to print the amended return, sign it, and file it by mail.

Did you get the SS# issued  after you filed the return using the ITIN ?    If so you should NOT amend for that reason... that is not the correct method to handle this situation (see below).

If you did get the SS# after you filed you cannot amend the return to switch from ITIN to SS# and get any missed credits on the original return for this situation.

Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN. You must also notify the IRS that you have received the SSN (see below).

 It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns. It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. 

If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due. 

You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.

Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN. 

Send your letter to:  

     Internal Revenue Service  

     Austin, TX 73301-0057  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies