Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

employment identity theft - Two full time jobs

I recently got an IRS notice CP01E - 'Employment Related Identity Theft' , stating I may be the victim of employment-related identity theft.

I recently started a new fulltime job and I am still holding my previous job. So for past 1 month I have been doing two fulltime jobs. I have benefits and 401K from both companies.  The above notice from IRS coincides with the starting of my new job and it has sent a false alert to IRS that I have been victim of employment identity theft. 

My question is, do I need to take any action now or just file taxes next year using both W2s. Is there any other issue I should be worried about ? I am hoping IRS will automatically resolve this eventually. Any help is appreciated.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

this may not relate to your second job but another job someone applied for using your SSN

what to do per the IRS

We believe another person may have used your Social Security number (SSN) to obtain employment. There is no known impact to your tax return or refund related to the potential misuse of your SSN. Because of the potential risks associated with identity theft, we are notifying you and providing you with proactive steps to protect your financial and credit accounts.

If there’s more than one name on the notice, this notice is related to the first person named. The person named may be a minor child, dependent, or other non-filer. However, because someone potentially used that person’s SSN for employment, there’s still a risk of identity theft.

What you need to do about your taxes

You don’t need to take any action for your taxes at this time. Please continue to file all applicable tax returns timely.

Steps you may want to take to protect your financial and credit information

We issued this notice without regard to age or other factors. Due to a lack of credit or other financial history, minor children, dependents, and some non-filers may not be able to use the protections below.

• Review your earnings with the Social Security Administration
    Ensure their records are correct. You can create an account on their website which can assist you if an unauthorized person used your SSN.

• Monitor your credit reports and all financial accounts
    Review their accounts for signs of misuse of your personal information.

• Place a one-year fraud alert on your credit accounts
    Contact one of the following three credit bureaus listed below. That bureau must tell the other two.
  • Consider filing a report with law enforcement such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
    The FTC can also provide information on how to file reports with other law enforcement agencies. Contact the FTC at identitytheft.gov or by calling them at 877-438-4338; TTY 866-653-4261.

If law enforcement requires personal tax information regarding their investigation, complete and return Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization PDF, to us.

• Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)
    An IP PIN is a six-digit number you include on your personal tax return to help us verify your identity and prevent identity theft related to your personal tax return. A missing or incorrect IP PIN prevents the electronic filing of a tax return, and a paper return filed without the IP PIN or an incorrect IP PIN will be subject to additional review and delay any refund due. You can get an IP PIN by creating an account at Get An Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN).  

Thanks Mike. My final question related to this is, is the IRS working on resolving this or do I need to fill further papers? I do not want an Identity theft flag on my account forever. 

So the conclusion is I just need to track using credit agencies and SSA. I will take an action if this genuinely turns out to be an Identity theft.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies