Solved: Downloaded 2017 software for amending, without changing anything it calculates a bigger refund than I was given, can I amend based on the software's calculations?

Downloaded 2017 software for amending, without changing anything it calculates a bigger refund than I was given, can I amend based on the software's calculations?

I wasn't planning on amending, I downloaded software to double check if I had entered things correctly.  To my surprise it calculates a bigger refund.  The software calculates a lower taxable income and a different Itemized deductions or standard deduction.

Sure, you could probably amend, but you need to compare your original filed return for 2017 with your Amended one to find out what the specific differences are in income and itemized deductions.

Was the taxable income lower because Itemized Deductions were higher?  Which deductions increased and why?

You need to give a 'reason for amending' and 'TurboTax's recalculations' isn't specific enough for the IRS,unfortunately.

Click the link for more info on how to amend a return

Thank you for the helpful information.  I compared the original to the amended one and I noticed that for some reason the property real estate tax entry was double the amount.  The explanation in the software said, "the amount comes from adding up your 1098-reported property (real estate) taxes of $xx and RETaxesOnMainHomeNotOn1098.  

It didn't make sense how it was doing this if I had not made ANY changes yet.  I was able to find it and fix it.  

Under "Mortgage Interest, Refinancing" there was a field at the end of the wizard for "Property Taxes" with the amount already filled out, but right above that it had a note, stating "we already have the amount $xx in property taxes from what you told us earlier, there is no need to enter this amount again."  so to fix I removed the amount from 'property taxes paid' and this fixed it.  I double checked and the amount is correct now (compared it to the 1098).

I had amended 2016 a few days ago and when I checked the same thing happened there, I was able to fix it there too.

Thank you again for your time!