Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does one get "Approved" if not getting Refund?

I e-filed my 2023 returnwith TT on 29 March and got "Accepted" within an hour. On 2 April the IRS withdrew the money I owed them from my checking account. It's now 21 April and my e-status still says "Accepted."  If one is not getting a refund will their status eventually change to "Approved?"   If so, will TT send me an email to that effect or do I need to keep asking via TT e-status?  I managed to sign into my IRS account (with ID.me) and it shows I have paid and that my balance is $0. But I don't really know if they are still processing my return or if I am done.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No.  After your return is Accepted Turbo Tax is done with their part.  The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax anything about your return whether you're getting a refund or tax due.  Turbo Tax will always say Accepted.  You are done.  The IRS may send you a letter if they have any questions.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies

When you have federal taxes owed you will not be receiving a federal tax refund.

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund. 

The status of your tax return on the TurboTax Tax Home webpage will remain as Accepted.

No.  After your return is Accepted Turbo Tax is done with their part.  The IRS doesn't update Turbo Tax anything about your return whether you're getting a refund or tax due.  Turbo Tax will always say Accepted.  You are done.  The IRS may send you a letter if they have any questions.  

That's good information about TT being done once the return is "Accepted."   Is there anything on the IRS site to give me a warm feeling that everything has been processed and no questions and that I am really done? Where would one find the "Approved" status - on the IRS "Where's My Refund" perhaps? Of course, if I am not getting a refund that doesn't apply.  They took my money - I'll just hope they are really done with me.  Thanks for responses!

On your IRS account, do you see the message under Account Status: "Your 2023 Tax Return Is Not Processed"?

Mine has been NOT processed according to the "where's my refund" link and this agrees with my IRS Account message. I would expect once your return gets processed and approved, this message will disappear.

They take your payment on the date you scheduled regardless of the processing status of your return, unlike a refund which only gets disbursed once the IRS is happy and agrees with your filed return.

@crash345u @BobbyC777 If you are not getting a federal refund there will not be any information about your tax return on the IRS "Where's my refund?" site.  That site only displays information if you are getting a refund.  It will never show you any information if you owed tax due.   Your proof that you paid your tax due will be your own bank or credit card statement.  And..you can check your online account with the IRS (NOT the refund site).

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0  @BobbyC777 I am getting a refund but sadly six weeks after efiling my return still has not been processed. Its just stuck waiting to be released for processing on the IRS vacuum tube computers 😕

@crash345u   On the IRS website under Account Status I see:

Account Status

Total Amount Owed 

as of April 21, 2024:

$0.00

========

I hope that they are done with me !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies