shar751611

Does anyone know when amend returns will be issued? I contact irs they said 20 weeks and still noting. I don’t understand why I can not get a day when I will receive it

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or even up to a year for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

NCperson

@shar751611 here is what the IRS has posted on its website.  The IRS is woefully backloged caused by a) more complex returns as a result of all the COVID laws that Congress passed and all the mistakes that taxpayers made and b) earlier in the year a number of IRS employees were out sick (just like the rest of us) with COVID so they lost a lot of processing time.  Note they really don't commit to a processing time as they state 'more than 20 weeks' with no upper limit, but based on experiences of many on these boards, assume it will be 9-12 months from the time you file the amendment 

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of August 13, 2022, we had 2 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.