Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mj103

Do I need to send the adjusted 1040 form with my 1040X amended form?

I still don't know what to do. My situation seems simple. I added more to an IRA and included an another 1099R that was misplaced. Simple adjustments that only affect a couple of forms. I was not going to send any schedules with my amended returns because the only changes are on the 1040 forms. I was only going to send the original 1040 and the 1040x. I cant see myself sending the all 62 pages to the feds and state. Whatcha think?
AXLROSE1

In my scientific humble opinion I think it is fine to just send the 1040x without the original 1040 as my 1040 was e filed and they already have that plus the 1040x is meant to replace the 1040.  if you have any changed schedules those must be included or forms as well.  depending on who you ask or what website you read it will tell you to attach original or revised 1040.  irs instructions say attach original 1040. i think these rules may apply differently if you efiled the original 1040. i wish someone whos a tax expert gave a definitive answer that didnt use the words in general or sometimes. what a nightmare. i am for my federal sending the REVISED 1040 and the 1040x with w2 that was not on original e filing. and for my CA 540x im sending in my REVISED 540 and the 540x with all my w2s. turbo tax instructions only instruct you to send in the revised versions and do not state the need to send the original filings. this would make sense being they were already received. and the X is meant to replace all the originals. it might serve to confuse the geniuses if you send a lot of forms. makes sense that you should only have to send the revised forms with attached forms and schedules that were affected by the revisions given that they already received the original 1040 or 540 for state.  where did you get your original 1040 or 540 CA from turbotax? i cant even find that to print my original again? hopes this helps somewhat.  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEONE NOT TURBOTAX BUT A REAL CPA SAY SOMETHING!
HuskerTaxes
Returning Member

When you sign into TurboTax you should see "Home Taxes Health Care Benefit Assist" across the top. Click on "Taxes" and you will see a list of all the tax years you have filed with the program.  Click on the year you want, and on the right under "Some things you can do:" will be "Download/print  return (PDF)".  Click that link, then click the big Download button.  You will have Federal and State returns with all of their schedules and forms, as well as all the worksheets that you don't see when you print your return at the end of the e-file process.  You can print all or part of the pdf, or Save As to your computer or storage device.
HuskerTaxes
Returning Member

I posted the following answer to your printing question but didn't do it as a Reply, so you probably didn't get notification: "When you sign into TurboTax you should see "Home Taxes Health Care Benefit Assist" across the top. Click on "Taxes" and you will see a list of all the tax years you have filed with the program.  Click on the year you want, and on the right under "Some things you can do:" will be "Download/print  return (PDF)".  Click that link, then click the big Download button.  You will have Federal and State returns with all of their schedules and forms, as well as all the worksheets that you don't see when you print your return at the end of the e-file process.  You can print all or part of the pdf, or Save As to your computer or storage device."

Hope that helps!
AXLROSE1

TurboTax Instructions only tell you to mail the 1040x. but this is another bug in their horrible software. BEWARE!

AXLROSE1

I READ SOMEWHERE ELSE ONLINE THAT YOU CAN JUST SEND THE 1040X WITH ATTACHED SCHEDULES AND FORMS. NO NEED FOR ORIGINAL BECAUSE THEY ALREADY RECEIVED IT?  TOTALLY CONFUSED. FOR CA STATE YOU SUPPOSED TO ATTACH THE FORMS AND SCHEDULES ON THE FRONT PER TT INSTRUCTIONS AND FOR FEDERAL INSTRUCTIONS ATTACH TO THE BACK IN SEQUENCE? WTF?!  I BET IN THE END IT DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS YOU SEND THE 1040X WITH ATTACHED FORMS AND SCHEDULES (THAT CHANGED OR CAUSED THE NEED TO AMMEND). NOT SENDING ORIGINAL WILL JUST MAKE THEM FIND IT. TT DOESNT EVEN PRINT OUT THE ORIGINALS IT PRINTS OUT YOUR NEWLY REVISED 1040 WHICH IS CONFUSING BECAUSE IT SHOWS YOUR PAYING THE ENTIRE TAX WHERE AS THE X SHOWS THE CHANGE. THE ORIGINAL SHOWS THE WRONG INFO, THE REVISED SHOWS THE RIGHT INFO AND THE X SHOWS THE DIFFERENCE. TT GENERATES ONLY THE X AND THE REVISED 1040 AND THEN TELLS YOU TO ONLY MAIL THE X WITH CHANGED SCHEDULES.

This is ambiguous. The mailing instruction says to send the 1040X and supporting forms, It does not specifically say to send the copy of the 1040 which has been redone to reflect the changes shown on the 1040X.
AXLROSE1

The tt instructions say nothing about sending it. However tax professionals and irs both instruct to send. It is ambiguous.

Send the 1040X and any form that changed due to the amendment...that usually includes the new 1040.
AXLROSE1

I did not include the original 1040 or filled out a new one; I just did the 1040x with other documents and IRS accepted.  It makes sense to not include the original or fill out a new 1040 since the 1040x is showing only the changes and IRS already accepted and have the original 1040 on file.  It is redundant and could lead to more confusion filling out a new 1040 or sending the old one in with the 1040x.  This is my experience.  I am sure you could do both but it may cause an issue. A lot of confusion on this, I think because you can do both.
AXLROSE1

I also did not put the documents in any sequence and it was accepted.
likoh

Sounds like, you mailed in only 1040x and forms and documents required for the changes. I agree adjusted 1040 form with extra forms do cause confusion.
For example, I need to amend 2014 tax due to late k1 form, after finishing the amend throught turbo tax software, I print out "all forms for filling", it includes 1040x, adjusted 1040 forms, deductible form, health, donation, k1...etc.

I will mail out only the 1040x form and k1 form with supportive K1 documents. Axlrose, please advise, since you submitted yours amend and got accepted.

I will mail the 1040x and check for amount due with changed Schedules hand-written.
likoh

Shankar4455, you suggested mail only the 1040x without adjusted 1040 form.
matuski

TurboTax prints out the Electronic Postmark of your e-filing along with your 1040x (the last sheet)- which counts as your original 1040 (the form you are amending)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies