turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tiffpop12

Do I need to file for the rebate for the second stimulous check now or when I am ready to file my 2020 return with my W2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to file for the rebate for the second stimulous check now or when I am ready to file my 2020 return with my W2?

The second stimulus check is based on your 2019 information.  If you choose to have your 2019 refund by direct deposit then the second stimulus money will be direct deposited into your bank account.

If you don't have a bank account on your 2019 return, then the IRS will mail you a check.

On your 2020 return, you will be asked about the stimulus money.

After the Other Tax Situations section of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify,  you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The second stimulus check is based on your 2019 information.  If you choose to have your 2019 refund by direct deposit then the second stimulus money will be direct deposited into your bank account.

If you don't have a bank account on your 2019 return, then the IRS will mail you a check.

On your 2020 return, you will be asked about the stimulus money.

After the Other Tax Situations section of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received in 2020.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify,  you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies