Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do both my daugthers and I have to report the 1098 and 1099B on our returns. She has an UGMA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Do both my daugthers and I have to report the 1098 and 1099B on our returns. She has an UGMA

No, either of you can report it if certain qualifications are met, but not both. 

Form 1098-T - (I'm assuming it is 1098-T, since you have only mentioned 1098...) - parents report the education form, education expenses and claim an education credit if the child is claimed as their dependents. Otherwise, your daughter will claim the form and an education credit.

Form 1099-B  - capital gains/losses should be reported on the child's tax return, not the parent's. Your daughter is required to file her own tax return if the unearned income (taxable capital gain) is $1050 or more. 

NOTES:

• If 1099-B is a consolidated statement and reports dividends (1099-div) on UGMA account, reporting depends on the unearned income amount. If your child's only income is unearned income not exceeding $1,050, it doesn't need to be reported. If your child's unearned income is $10,500 or more, she will need to file her own return. Unearned income amounts between $1,050 and $10,500 are reported either on your return or your child's return. 
  • For purposes of "kiddie tax" the child is defined as a dependent under the age of 19 (or under 24 if a full-time student) as of Dec 31, 2016.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, either of you can report it if certain qualifications are met, but not both. 

Form 1098-T - (I'm assuming it is 1098-T, since you have only mentioned 1098...) - parents report the education form, education expenses and claim an education credit if the child is claimed as their dependents. Otherwise, your daughter will claim the form and an education credit.

Form 1099-B  - capital gains/losses should be reported on the child's tax return, not the parent's. Your daughter is required to file her own tax return if the unearned income (taxable capital gain) is $1050 or more. 

NOTES:

• If 1099-B is a consolidated statement and reports dividends (1099-div) on UGMA account, reporting depends on the unearned income amount. If your child's only income is unearned income not exceeding $1,050, it doesn't need to be reported. If your child's unearned income is $10,500 or more, she will need to file her own return. Unearned income amounts between $1,050 and $10,500 are reported either on your return or your child's return. 
  • For purposes of "kiddie tax" the child is defined as a dependent under the age of 19 (or under 24 if a full-time student) as of Dec 31, 2016.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies