• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aturincio

Didn't file my original state return, but filed my federal. However, I needed to amend my federal. Is it okay to send an amended state tax return before original?

Because I needed to amend my federal, it automatically changed my state tax form and listed it as "amended state return" on the top of the form.
3 Replies
Cindy0H

Didn't file my original state return, but filed my federal. However, I needed to amend my federal. Is it okay to send an amended state tax return before original?

No, it is not. You need to have a return (either federal or state) accepted before you can send in an amended return. If you tell me what state, I can find a way to get rid of the "amended state return."

aturincio

Ok thank you! Glad I asked.

Its California.
Cindy0H

There is a separate form for amending in California: Schedule X. Go into the CA interview to the part "Other situations". Change a previously filed return. Say NO. You can also delete the Schedule X.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v