aturincio

Didn't file my original state return, but filed my federal. However, I needed to amend my federal. Is it okay to send an amended state tax return before original?

Because I needed to amend my federal, it automatically changed my state tax form and listed it as "amended state return" on the top of the form.
Cindy0H

No, it is not. You need to have a return (either federal or state) accepted before you can send in an amended return. If you tell me what state, I can find a way to get rid of the "amended state return."

aturincio

Ok thank you! Glad I asked.

Its California.
Cindy0H

There is a separate form for amending in California: Schedule X. Go into the CA interview to the part "Other situations". Change a previously filed return. Say NO. You can also delete the Schedule X.