turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally put in wrong account number for my refund.. What do i do now? how do i get my refund?

I accidentally put in wrong account number for my refund.. What do i do now? how do i get my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

In the interest of time, I went ahead and left you additional info in the answer below.  If you were emailed the original, please return to the forum to see the full info.

Did you efile, and has your return already been accepted?   If you recently efiled and it rejects for some reason, you can make any changes you need to and resubmit the efile.  If it's already been accepted, however, then you can't change it.

Was your refund coming directly from the IRS, or did you choose the option to first pay any TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund  (which uses an intermediary bank to process?)

If your bank refuses the direct deposit, it should bounce back to whoever sent it.  If it was sent by the IRS, it will go back to the IRS who will issue you a check in the mail.  There are rare cases in which a refund with a wrong account number could be deposited in someone else's account, however.

NOTE: The following info only applies IF you chose to pay the TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund. If you did not choose that option, then the rest of the info below does not apply to you.

If you used the refund processing service to pay the TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund,  then a refused direct deposit should bounce back to the intermediary bank, who will issue you a check in the mail.

If you DID use that refund processing service, you can log into your temporary account at SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group) where that is handled.  You can check and follow the status there.   SBTPG used to let people make corrections in their direct deposit info there, but I don't know if they still do that since there is a lot of fraud and identity theft these days.  You can log in there and see if you can correct it, but I'm not sure if you still can. 
Use the Taxpayer portal at: https://cisc.sbtpg.com

SBTPG also has a 24-hour automated phone line which will tell you your status, and during the day they have live phone support.  Look for the Contact Us or Help link at the SBTPG website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies